I have four children and three grandchildren. I was married to the late John "Jack" Devaney, a Watertown Firefighter, U.S. Marine, who supported me in everything I pursued. Working together, without personal financial resources. I began as a freshman in college with four children and a great, supportive husband (ABA - Middlesex Community College, BS - Suffolk University, Masters - Boston State College.)
- I served as youngest Watertown Town Meeting member and when changed to a City; elected as Watertown"s Councillor-at-large; served on various local and State Committees; most rewarding as Member of the Commission on Disabilities for twenty-two years. I am now completing my seventh, two year term on the Governor's Council.
- I come from a family who overcame prejudice and discrimination and that is why from my experience - it makes me a strong proponent of diversity. My Dad was an Italian Immigrant from Sicily. In those old days in Watertown there were no anti-discrimination laws - no Italian was allowed to work in Watertown.
- When my Dad was a young man just trying to support himself - He was forced to give up his heritage-pretend he wasn't Italian - and was forced to go to court and change his name from Petitto to Peters.
- My Mother's brother - Sandy DeNucci always dreamed of being a firefighter - but sadly could never be a Watertown Firefighter- When he applied - he was told - There never would be a "g word" on the Fire department.
- It always hurt to see my Dad's gravestone at the cemetery with a name he made up. Thirty years ago I went to court and got my Dad's name back - Petitto is my legal middle name. I experienced prejudice as well. I believe in Diversity!
- I was proud to join my cousin Joe DeNucci in the State House. I miss him. He was a great Representative and State Auditor. Joe and I shared the same philosophy - "to be the Voice for those we represent."
- Joe's Dad was a janitor at the Newton Y - My Dad went to the eighth grade- so there were no silver spoons in our family.
- Now I am going through a campaign- being attacked publicly and in writing -with slanderous untrue statements, lies, specious remarks - smearing my proud voting record - without the true facts.
When I have voted no - I can document why - I won't vote for someone based just on being a political appointment, or just on gender, ethnicity etc Please call me anytime at (617) 840-7689. I welcome your call anytime.
I have been honored to represent you these past years and I want to continue to work for you.